Monday, September 22, 2008

I think 3, large.

So I finally have internet after many empty promises from the UEA ITS.

So... my god, what has happened? I should scurry to my journal but I am going to be a bit vauge instead, I suppose.

Last night a bewildering Kaiser Chiefs cover band played a set at the LCR (lower common room). I went with almost all my housemates, who are:

Joseph: from Brighton, into indie rock, blues guitar, and literature
Alice: from New Zealand, into baking, world music, travel, and developing countries
Grace: from Portsmouth, very bubbly, quite excited, and into being a doctor

Alex didn't come with, but he is from Slovenia/Serbia, into movies, and often gets lost.

I feel like a freshman all over again, participating in all of the freshman things, like the icebreaker last night, and the internation students reception (where I was in a conversation with people from 15 different countries at one point!), and rubbing my hands together in anticipation for the societies market, where you literally shop for the societies you would like to join. So far I am going to join the Internation Students Society, the Creative Writing Society, the Archery society, the Rowing society, the Travel society, and the Wine and Cheese society.

I only have class on Thursday and Friday and have decided to make a foray into London next week to see a show and so forth. It is only 8 pounds return to get there and there is a student price for about 15 pounds to see anything good, like Jersey Boys, Spamalot, or... something else. There is a stage version of Rainman with Josh Hartnett that looks interesting.

Norwich is best described as a british town if Disney designed it - the street layout has not changed since medieval times, and the streets themselves are cobbled and narrow, only big enough for a single car. The open air market in the very center of town has been operating since 1066 and it is hemmed in by a magnificent castle that doubles as an art museum and a very imposing church.

My room is prison-like. The Resident Tutor described it as Shawshank Chic. I put a king size sheet up on one wall to help lessen the oppressiveness, but the bed is quite small... I woke up twice last night banging my foot on the end bar, startled by the cold and the metal.

So I won't spend much time in my room. But I wasn't going to anyway. I'm eating a cadbury chocolate waiting on a pizza we all ordered, and Joseph is asking if I'd like a tea. And I would, really would.

4 comments:

Ariane H said...

Wow, I'm so excited for you. It sounds like you're already having a great time, and I'm sure you will fill up on stories to write about.

And I want you to know that I'm still not smoking ! And it's not even that hard. Heeeee.

SCDad said...

I, for one, am glad to hear that, Ariane. Keep it up!

As for Christopher: nice post. I hope I'm not being too VAGUE...

imitationGIdget said...

im echo both dad and ariane's thoughts and here is my own.....go to the art museum several times and look at the art with the eye of someone looking for a story within. if its a landscape, ok maybe a little boring but remember that any paintings with people...those peple could have a story. if you can't look at it with my eyes, imagine there's a story in every painting. be especially aware of the uses of light, color, and brushstrokes and put yourself in the artist's shoes. i miss you big little bro....xxx

Mrs. H said...

Where did you get the sheet?

What classes did you actually get?

We are hanging on your every word and adventure...

PICTURES?!!!