Monday, September 15, 2008

It was supposed to be so easy...

Things I learned in Paris:
-a city can be seductive
-macarons are delicious
-the french language is more complex than I could have imagined
-I acclimate well

I am typing like an idiot. Why oh why did I get used to french keyboards?

Things I learned today:
-travel light
-seriously, seriously. travel light.

I just took my eighty pounds or so of luggage up roughly 4523 flights of stairs. I am on the topmost floor of a building with no elevator. I have not sweated that much since running the mile in eighth grade.

But, I did have a latte with a nice korean woman. And I read a Douglas Coupland book on the train while the woman next to me read seventy pages of her children's novel. Is it wrong to feel superior because of reading speed?

I am so comfortable in my own language, like sinking into an easy chair. I keep talking to people just to show myself I still can, without stumbling. But I keep apologizing in french.

1 comment:

Mrs. H said...

I'll bet now you're thinking my mom was right--I don't need this many sweaters...

xo